Skip to main content

Return to Mordheim, Part 2: Modernising the Rules

Mordheim is a wonderful game. It is perhaps more popular today than it was a quarter of a century ago when it was initally released and supported. The world and the rules create a grim and gritty play experience, where actions have real consequences and support a narrative style of play.

For myself, and probably many in the community, it also has a powerful nostalgic pull. It not only takes me back to a time where I was young and free enough to spend all my pocket money and weekends at Games Workshop creating, painting, and playing. But also for a time in Games Workshop's past where they hadn't perfected the profit-making machine that GW has become; where a 13-year-old could legitimately engage with the hobby with just their pocket money and a train ticket.1

But say what you will about Games Workshop, they do write good games. Their contemporary games like Age of Sigmar, Necromunda, Kill Team and Warcry have smart and fun rules. Going back and exploring the Mordheim rules today, they do feel dated. Many of the new common rules that create exciting gameplay, such as alternate activation, are just not there. It very much feels like a game from the late 90s.

And due to the swinginess of the game, where a roll of a 6 to wound (a whopping 16.7% chance) pretty much guarantees a kill, it lends itself towards a certain type of optimisation. Namely, wielding two weapons for an extra attack.

Combine this with armour being prohibitively expensive, a lack of variation between two-handed weapons which makes them less appealing, and underperforming ranged weapons, and you have a game that encourages players who want to do well to give their characters two close combat weapons and rarely waste money on armour. This fitout optimisation is a distraction from the tone and beautiful narrative elements of the game.

There will always be those who say that there is no need to modify this stuff, that if you have a good group, you wont see 20 sling wielding Skaven with dual clubs. But why entice players who are playing for wins with that kind of setup, when we can very easily design it out and create more interesting alternatives? 

To create a game where all weapon and armour fit outs are balanced and fun to play with, I've sought the following approach:

  • Make armour more desirable, affordable, and protective, thus;
  • Increasing the need for armour-penetrating weapons (two-handed, axes, and blackpowder),
  • Make two-handed weapons more interesting and differentiated, 
  • Reduce the desire for dual-wielding by introducing penalties and lowering the chance of scoring critical hits, and
  • Improve the performance and differentiation of ranged weapons.

In subsequent posts I will go through each of the arms and armour and give reasons why these changes have been made.

*    *    *

1. I will return to my thoughts on the damage Games Workshop's model has done on the hobby in general, and the inescapability of this tendency in capitalism.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return to Mordheim, Part 1

It's been a very long time since I played tabletop wargames. This year, I finally made it back. My oldest memory of Warhammer was my primary school friends splitting a box of Warhammer Fantasy Battles 6th Edition. I wasn't interested in Bretonnians or Lizardmen. I wanted goblins. Lots of goblins.  Night Goblins specifically. It was something about their creepy little cloaks, the caves they lived in, and all those mushrooms. I thought the Fanatic was awesome, with their ball and chain that was bigger than them. I just fielded unit after unit of Night Goblin spearmen and archers with Fanatics. I would lose every game. But I didn't care. I played Night Goblins because I loved the freaky little guys, not because I expected to win games.  A friend and I used to play Necromunda with his older brother's boxed set. I knew there was something different about Necromunda. It felt just a bit more mature. Grittier. Almost like we were too young to be playing it, like it deserved an

Mordheim Scenario: Wyrdstone Hunt

Games of Mordheim have a tendency to become a huge brawl in the centre of the table. Many of the newer interventions in tabletop wargames, like objectives and victory points, are not present in Mordheim. Quite often the only victory condition in Mordheim is "when the other warband routs".  There are many improvements to be made to Mordheim by bringing newer ideas like objectives and victory points into the game. Not only to improve gameplay, but also from a narrative perspective. Having objectives beyond "beat the shit out of the other warband" creates more narrative play, as motivations become more complex  With this in mind, below is the first of many updated scenarios for Mordheim. I have taken an already existing scenario, the Wyrdstone Hunt, and updated it with new ideas and gameplay mechanics. I have been putting together some Trench Crusade games, and I have drawn heavily from the rules there.